pattern: Bough by Brooklyn Tweed
yarn: two skeins of Brooklyn Tweed Shelter in Nest
necklace: native clutter | cardigan: seamly.co
I can’t stop knitting hats. This isn’t a problem since I lose them at about the same rate that I make them. And Colorado is chilly.
Sewing stuff should be up next…
I love marled yarn and wanted a quick project, so behold: the super easy baby alpaca hat. This stuff has been in my stash for like two years.
Materials: one skein of Misti Alpaca Chunky
Instructions: Find some needles. I used US size 9 16″ circulars. Cast-on 64 stitches. K2 P2 until you’re over it. I wanted to do a brim, but would’ve run out of yarn hence the strange ribbing measurement of 3.5″. Knit some more. When the hat measures 8″ then start decreasing. I separated the hat into four sections of 16 stitches with stitch markers. Decrease every row as follows: pm, ssk, knit to two stitches before marker, k2tog. When you have, like, eight stitches left, finish the hat. Weave in ends. Boom.
I just cast-on Bough, so that’s coming up next.
I can’t wait for fall and winter.
pattern: dreicke hat by shannon cook
yarn: manos del uruguay maxima in spirulina from fancy tiger crafts
I’m not sure if you guys have noticed but I’m really into neons/chartreuse. ::sigh:: Even with fluorescent hair. Nothing can deter me. Anyway, this pattern is great. Super fast and clear instructions. Two thumbs up.
I’m all about sewing intimates right now. My day-to-day wardrobe is black, black, black, so any cravings I have for color show up in hidden pieces. I’m drawn to neons in particular and Spandex House has some rad lacy ones. Like chartreuse. Most of the notions were from Sew Sassy. I used foldover elastic, 1/4″ bra straps and random lace trim from my stash.
bambi top | ava bottoms
I didn’t make any alterations, but next time I’ll do an FBA on Bambi. It’s a little small in the cups, but fits well otherwise.
Initially I wanted to pair the chartreuse lace with something less intense than black, but all of my dyeing efforts resulted in colors that didn’t match! It was an interesting process though and I learned quite a bit about dyeing notions. More on that later.
Tons more to come! I’ve finished other intimates sets, some Hudson sweats AND I have a Foxglove in progress. Yay! It’s good to be back.
I’ve been away from home for the last week. I went road-tripping with my mom to see family in southern Utah. It’s one of my favorite places and I picked up a few goodies that I’ll be sharing later. In the meantime, here’s a sweater:
pattern: hemlock tee
fabric: synthetic blend sweater knit from newly named Colorado Fabrics in Littleton. I maybe paid $8 for two yards.(They have some great ones, so if you live in the area I suggest you peruse their bins.)
mods: I just used a different fabric.
boots: emma ankle boot // jeans: j. crew toothpick jean // earrings: brass chevron earrings
I finished my Hemlock a couple of weeks ago and wear it all of the time. It was originally designed for a tissue weight jersey, but as it gets colder I thought a sweater knit might be more practical. I think the result is the perfect slouchy sweater. It’s going to be hard not to make ten of these.
I didn’t finish the ends and it’s slowly unraveling. Any suggestions? Should I just serge them then fold over the hems to topstitch? I like how they roll, but I want the sweater to last longer than a month.
When a project looks pretty much perfect I get an adrenaline rush. I will never jump out of a plane, but I think I get a similar sensation from impeccable topstitching.
orange hair: light mountain henna in red // top: American Apparel
necklace: scalloped brass // shoes: Sam Edelman(similar)
Pattern: Grainline Studio Moss Mini
Fabric: Stash denim that I’ve had for years! YAY! So pumped that I used it.
Mods: None! I cut a size too small, but guess what? A size too small just makes it a high-waisted Moss Skirt! No big deal. ALSO, I didn’t have any grey or blue topstitching thread so I used the triple stitch function on my machine. I think it looks just as good if not better because there weren’t any tension issues.
The zipper was really easy to install thanks to Jen’s tutorial.
I tried three times to stitch a buttonhole. I don’t know what is up with my machine, but we’re experiencing a pretty serious problem. It kept jamming or even going the wrong way when I had it on the automatic function. In retrospect, I’m glad it didn’t work out because I think this particular version looks better with a clean front and a hook and eye closure.
There will be several more of these in my future. I can’t recommend the pattern enough.