I can say the green silk dress because I’m fairly confident I won’t be making two of these.
This is my first time sewing with silk, so I’m awfully proud of myself right now. There are tons of issues – it’s already snagged (thanks cat!) and the front wrap is totally off-grain, but WHO CARES! I made a silk dress. With PLEATS. Despite those concerns, the dress can and will be worn in public, so I count it as a success.
Pattern: Vogue 1344
Material: silk georgette in jelly bean green and silk habotai in peppermint green for the lining. It’s still too sheer and needs a slip.
Modifications: I added an inch to the bodice and the skirt. It’s still short. I used the pattern’s finished measurements to determine my size. I went with a 6. The bodice gapes – it’s totally pinned in the photos – but otherwise seems to fit. I also omitted the ruffle.
The hem was kind of a nightmare. Instead of following instructions, I opened the (french-seamed) sides back up then used my roller hem foot. It worked surprisingly well on the georgette, but not so well on the habotai. That’s a hidden hot mess I have to learn to live with.
I really like the pattern even though it’s a bit more feminine than what I normally wear.