That’s it. I’m making a sloper.
I’ve made five bodice muslins to get this dress to fit. It has nothing to do with Megan’s pattern and everything to do with my really weird upper body. The front is seriously almost an xl and the back is an xs. WTF?!?!
Here’s what I did:
- lengthened the back strap pieces and shortened the front straps.
- lengthened the front side pieces and shortened the back to balance out the above mods.
- lengthened the bodice by 2″ (later took out 1.5″ from cb and 1″ from cf)
- increased dart length and did an fba
- raised the neckline 1″ (I’m going to lower it back down…)
- created another dart for a better fit
- shortened the skirt
- probably did a few other things that I’m forgetting.
So here’s the bodice that I was fairly happy with until I attached to the skirt. Lengthening the bodice was unnecessary. It looks better shortened. I also need to end the darts sooner. Maybe 1/2″ each way?
Okay, this one is definitely too short, but you get the idea. I’ll probably add two inches to the skirt because right now there’s nothing to sit on. Whoops! I’m also going to bring the neckline back down an inch. I’m nothing if not immodest.
Aaaand, here’s the fabric:
A silk/cotton blend from Fabric Mart Fabrics that I’m going to underline with cotton batiste. I’m a bit worried about the stripes and lining everything up correctly, but if I do it right I think it’s going to look really nice.
Honestly, I’m a bit burned out on this pattern, so I may finish something else before I cut into this fashion fabric.